Tuesday, July 15, 2008

48 and counting

As anyone who knows us (my wife Patty and I) knows, we love to travel. In addition to the occasional Canada, United Kingdom, and Ireland trips, we have traveled throughout the United States - visiting 48 of the 50; missing only Hawaii and Arkansas. Now when I say visit, I mean stopped in for at least a few hours or overnight. We are constantly amazed that "no matter where you go, there you are" to borrow a phrase. This has taken us to Teddy Roosevelt NP in North Dakota, lighthouses along the Oregon coast, Disneyland and Disney world, the coastal islands of North and South Carolina, my father's birthplace of Tucson and its neighboring vilage of Ajo, Arizona. But somehow, following interstates, bus, or Amtrak lines, we went right by Arkansas. Arkansas? How do you miss Arkansas? (Or, more likely, some would ask, why go there in the first place?)
That will be the goal of this 2008 travel - to discover the wonders of Arkansas (beyond it being the birthplace of Civil Rights and Bill Clinton). Our trek will take us south to Atlanta, then west to Montgomery and Huntsville, Alabama; Memphis and Graceland; and on to the Ozarks - actual home of the "hillbilly" - somewhat ironic after spending 27 years in Verona, NJ, whose "mascot" is a hillbilly.
Hawaii will have to wait.

3 comments:

*jeanne* said...

Hmmm, statewise...I'm missing Maine & North Dakota...
maybe I've been to all the others?
Years and years of Theatre for Young Audiences performances will take you places.

Phillip Sprayberry said...

Howdy y'all...Congratulations on your blog...I,also, am in Georgia...Summerville is just a couple of hours above you (geographically speaking)...I'm looking forward to seeing you kids next week...(you might want to check your AP Style book for the capitalization of "South.")...Hugs! -p

paula d said...

I've been to Arkansas, though I've been to only about 1/3 of the states you've covered. We can have a lengthy discourse on the charms of that state the next time we meet :-).

The blog is great. I love will love reading about your adventures this summer.